JoomSEF Main Features Overview
- Joomla! SEF URLs Genetaion
- Automatic meta-data generation
- Easy and fast to use meta-data editor for any URL
- Built-in .htaccess editor
- Sitemap (XML) generation
- Easy-to-use duplicates management
- Full support of UTF-8 in URLs
- URL autoupdate after configuration change
- Easy migration from sh404sef or AceSEF components
- features summary
Main feature of JoomSEF is to generate SEF (search engine friendly) URLs for Joomla! core and its add-on components. Although significantly improved in Joomla 1.5, default Joomla! SEO engine will still place content IDs into your URLs to be able to understand them. JoomSEF has a bit different approach, which does not have such need and the URLs can be a plain text. JoomSEF stores the SEF URLs into database and is able to translate then from/to original/SEF appearance.
Thanks to this approach, it can also set explicit metadata for virtually ANY Joomla URL, even there, where standard Joomla does not allow that, such as categories, registration forms, search and similars.
JoomSEF can save your time by ability to generate meta-data for you based on the component content. Extensions that support automatic meta tags generation have the Meta Tags group present in their parameters. You can enable/disable this feature and control the way meta tags are generated. The description meta tag is usually created by truncating the category/product description or the article intro text. Keywords are chosen from the description based on their usage. There are many predefined blacklisted words and you can set your own for each extension.
You no longer need to use FTP client or other components to edit your .htaccess file to check it or adjust it. JoomSEF now has built-in .htaccess editor with basic and advanced interface. In basic mode, you can fast and securely edit basic parameters, such as RewriteBase and you can also define external redirects from other sites. Advanced view will serve you as text editor of this file.
There is a new option called "Number duplicate URLs" in configuration. If you set it to "No", the new duplicates management system will be used instead of numbering the URLs. If there are some identical SEF URLs, JoomSEF assigns them a priority and then uses the URL with the highest priority. But if you want to override this default assignment, you can use the new "Active" column in the SEF URLs management. Just click the icon next to the URL you want to set active, and it will be used in all cases.
Full Support of UTF-8 in URLs
You can improve your site SEO even more now, but using your local language charactes in your SEF URLs. Now, JoomSEF can support any UTF-8 character in the URL. This includes support of all non-latin characters as well, such as cyrillic, chinese, japanese, etc.
If you needed to update JoomSEF configuration, you can now use autoupdate function that will automatically change all currently existing URLs related to the change. To preserve your URL page ranking, it will automatically store 301 redirect for you as well! Customarily adjusted URLs are not affected.
JoomSEF can now easily import URLs generated by other JoomSEF SEF URLs generator components, such as sh404sef or AceSEF. Simply get your backup file from one of these components and use it with JoomSEF URL Import function.
- rewrites original Joomla! URLs to be Search Engine Friendly (SEF) and human understandable
- capability of automatic meta-data generation
- easy and fast to use meta-data editor
- XML sitemap generation option
- provides support for multilingual sites using JoomFish
- URLs internationalization (translated URLs)
- full UTF-8 support in URLs (for non-latin languages)
- support for multiple formats of URLs when using multiple languages - domain based: en.yoursite.com, de.yoursite.com, ... or path-based: yoursite.com/en, yoursite.com/de
- wide range of editable meta-tags for any URL in your Joomla!
- fully customizable URLs + configuration options for automatic URL generation
- customizable 404 page
- helps you handle 301 redirects, allow custom 301 redirect definitions
- support for Google News URL format
- duplicate URL prevention and management
- .htaccess file editing made fast and easy (built-in .htaccess editor)
- works with Apache and IIS, platform independent
- online free! updates (free updates also for the paid versions)
- caching system for improved performance (Joomla core compatible)
- automatic updates of existing URLs on configuration change
- modularity - supports 3rd party modules
- adjustable component parameters for add-on extensions to customize way of URL appearance
- plug-in system - easily add more extensions for your components
- support for sef_ext.php files written for OpenSEF or SEF Advance (since v1.4.0)
- support for Joomla API router.php files
- easy URL imports from sh404sef and AceSEF components
- Joomla 1.0.x (JoomSEF 2) and Joomla 1.5 support (JoomSEF 3)
- and many more...